Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Conferencing

Technology has supplied various forms of computer-mediated communication to help educators and learners in their second language learning process. Conferencing is one of the technologies I found useful for improving the listening oral skills since it is very similar to face-to-face communication, and provides an immediate feedback - as other synchronous forms. MOO is incredibly interesting for both teacher and learners who are involved in a virtual environment and exposed to a target language and culture. Apparently, most learners use the e-mails (asynchronous), where responses may delay, for submitting assignments, interacting and exchange information in their second language learning as my students used to. A common example of using this technology is “Tandem e-mail learning” where there is a balance between the roles of participants, between what they receive and what they contribute. CMC Technologies, in its effectiveness role, have a great promising future if they are pedagogically selected to achieve the planned objectives of second language learning. In general, synchronous forms of CMC develop the oral proficiency of learners and reduce the physical distance within diverse learning environments. In asynchronous tools, learners improve their linguistic quality lexically and syntactically. The individuals’ variations and the strengths and limitations of CMC material considerations should be the basis on which we choose an efficient teaching aid.

7 comments:

  1. One possible use of conferencing would be to have ESL/EFL talk to a variety of native English speakers from around the world in order to actively expose them to the many accents and even dialects that exist. I have played short videos showcasing various American accents in class and the possibility of real-time accent exposure would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea Jeremy. Even in the U.S. ~ we have a varied of dialects. I've been told by Germans, when I speak German, my accent sound like I am chewing bubble gum. LOL I need to work on that ...

      On the other hand, when I taught Middle School Science students on the West side of San Antonio ~ my students said I sound like a country singer. Too funny!

      Thanks! Cat

      Delete
  2. video-conferencing is an interesting new development available for free online. I have seen commercials for Google+ where a group of people can "meet" in a private chat room and not only conference together, but watch youtube videos at the same time. I could think of a language class that is based around watching youtube videos and chatting about them together. Or, a tutor using skype to speak with a student in New York City while the tutor is in Madrid. I can say the debate over which is better a classroom-based class-where you can meet the instructor, fellow students, and be held accountable for you work- or an online video-conferencing class is not really a debate yet, but the rising popularity of online interaction means that it can't be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hummm Dan ~ great point. I too can see where video-conferencing can work. Or at least we shall test this theory tomorrow in class ...
    However, I stand by my belief ~ video-conferencing will never replace the teacher. Video-conferencing will be a added bonus to the learning experience and an excellent tool in the classroom. Thanks! Cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of video conferencing because its the closest we can get students to a real face to face chat. Its true as you said that it reduces the distance felt by the participants. I've tried it a couple of times and it went ok, it was fun but I had my cousin talking to about 150 students over the course of a week. For my students it was fun to talk to a native English speaker, but for my cousin it was long and tedious. Mainly because of the time difference, on our side we had class in the morning, on her end it was around 1 A.M. If the chance ever came up though I'd do it again. Hopefully with one to one student interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think both synchronous and asynchronous are good way for second language learners to acquire the language proficiency. Because it provides a real face-to-face environment for second language learns. I have tried some other softwares similar with MOO. I felt no distance while having conversation with my English speakers, and I could get my feedback very fast. This thing makes me motivated to learn English and the biggest benefit for me is I felt no stress, I don`t need to worry about weather I would get punished if I spoke something wrong. I also think the CMC technologies would be an effective method in teaching oral skills. English language learners could receive better input and produce more comprehensible output through this promising technology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how far CMC technologies have come for education in such a short while. I remember being amazed at the end of the 90s to discover people were voice-chatting as I could see how that would have provided wonderful opportunities to develop conversation skills amongst my English students in Japan who were eager to speak in English with someone other than their nice foreign teachers who spoke slowly and simply.

    ReplyDelete