Thursday, March 8, 2012

Which one help us be "more human:" Technology, nature or both?

I have observed that technology is really important in our classroom.  Most of our classmates, for the TESL CALL spot statement, are trying to apply a modern technology to the development of the language.  In my opinion, in the area of language education, technology should not only be used in the development of the language, but also development of the person.  I was working in the UTSA library with my assignment for the TESL CALL spot, and after I finished it, I was trying to send it in, since I could not do it, I asked a fellow, who was working in his computer next to me.  He tried for a while to help me but eventually he gave up.  The man to my left could not help me either.  I asked two more people who worked in the library help me.  I thought "they should know it", but they did not.  After this experience, I realized that this modern technology is difficult for me, but also for others, who are expected to have some knowledge about it.  After my discovery, I modified my assignment for the TESL CALL post.  I would like to invite you to discuss not only how we apply a modern technology for development of language, but also how to apply it to the general issue of human development, and compare it with development of nature in human life.  As we realize, modern technology is so important these days for many human needs.  Some people go too far with technology development, and can become addicted to it.  The fast progress of technology can have a negative effect on human life.  Modern technology is changing the way our brain works.  Somehow, modern technology is changing human feelings, including the principles of human beings.  I think people should try to keep a balance between technology progress and the use of nature's resources.  Some human actions, such as modern technology, violate the laws of nature.  If we lose nature's image, we lose our purpose of life, because we are completely dependent on nature.  Personally, I'm trying to be really close to nature.  This connection with nature has been enriching my life in many different ways.  Nature keeps people "more human."  That could not happen to us with modern technology.  The words of the ancient oriental wisdom say: "live closer to nature my friends, and its eternal laws will protect you."

http://www.albang.edu/etap/faculty/Cara Meskill/publication/mark.pdf


http://www.abdn.ac.uk/philosophy/endsandmeans/vol2no2/roleton.shtml

4 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting topic that you have brought up. More times than not, using modern technology takes much longer than simply doing something on paper and when something goes wrong it takes longer to troubleshoot the problem and fix it. For example, I had to turn in some emergency contact information at work. Now, if this had simply been done on a piece of paper, it would have taken 2 minutes. However, it had to be done on a website that required setting up a password that was then sent to one's email address and then entered into the website. This took long enough, but after that I discovered that the phone number could only be entered one way, otherwise when you got to the end of the form it would not allow you to send it. After a couple of tries and about 30 minutes I had finally entered the simple information. It can be very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that technology is an important tool to use in the classroom, and education despite the fact of the complexity of using it, even at the very basic things like typing for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it this point had been raised 10 years ago, I would not have given it as much credence as I do now, after having experienced just how much technology mediates so many aspects of our lives. While I think technology can serve to make us more human, for example, by enabling us to regain contact with those from our past or by helping us keep in touch with those we care about over time and distance, it does also sometimes buffer us too much or confine us.

    Jeremy's example is a nice one of how technologizing everything really doesn't make things more efficient, and every time I face the prospect of a low battery or power failure, I am thankful that not everything is digital yet.

    Although I haven't thought about how technology keeps me from nature, I have often despaired over the general waste of metal, plastic and silicon caused by constantly outdated hardware and software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The use of technology, especially as it relates in the medical field, allows for less human errors. And thus, improves upon nature. I find it fascinating how hospital ER doctors, nurses, technicians are beginning to carry iPads with them. Instead of using clipboards, etc. the ER doc types in patient's name and proof ~ that patience's medical history pops up. They are able to receive lab, x-rays, etc. all at the tap of a few things. Now if they misplace it or drop and break it ...

    ReplyDelete